Friday, April 21, 2023

Unethical

 


Unethical is a huge dangerous word. Interestingly, I don’t recall ever being referred to as unethical until I entered the home inspection business. I am now referred to as unethical by a large number of disgruntled real estate agents. Sorry to surprise you but there is a very large number of agents who don’t care for me, anything I do, or how I do it. I am sure that occurs a great deal in private conversations but it is beyond evident when some action trips their trigger and they begin comments in a large public forum, typically with indisputable, unethical actions, comments and suggestions on their own part. For over 25 years I have tolerated this over and over again at different volumes and different capacities. I can’t even count how many times I have been told, heard it said, or read, that I was going to be reported for my unethical behavior. Amazingly, that has not occurred one single time as there is nothing to report other than their disagreement and dissatisfaction with how I run my business. 

Why is this the case. It’s very simple to explain. As home inspectors we often think of ourselves as doctors of houses. Nothing could be farther from reality. Medical doctors subscribe to the Hippocratic oath part of which is a commitment to “Do No Harm”. As a builder, I never subscribed to such an oath but it is generally accepted that we “Do No Harm”. As a home and commercial building inspector my job is literally to Do Harm. Yes, I am tasked with finding what is wrong with a property, detail that in a written report our clients use to demand things such as expensive repairs, financial reparations or even worse to walk away from a transaction leaving everyone involved in the transaction miffed and unhappy. Whose fault was it? Obviously, MINE as it was such a HAPPY HOME before I arrived. Yes, what I do harms many involved in these transactions. I totally get it and couldn’t be more upset and saddened at my negative findings in any home. Worse when my findings end up expensive or “killing a deal”. It is not my idea of how a day should end. That said it is what it is and I have never written up an issue that didn’t exist, or misrepresented any issue that I am aware of. In fact I work very hard attempting to represent issues in their proper perspective.

Interestingly, I have repeatedly been advised that I have adequate evidence to bring a few agents up on ethical grounds not to mention their repeated attempts to financially harm me and my business on legal grounds. I have enough on some to cause their license to be suspended or removed. Why don’t I take such actions my attorneys constantly encourage? Simple, it it is not the way I roll. I will function around them using their inappropriate actions to literally grow my business with those who observe and question their unethical, some illegal, actions and turn to me for inspection bookings. Why, because if these folk are so upset and belligerent because I did my job leading to harming them I must be very good at what I do. 

As part of this I would like to offer a huge outpouring of gratitude to all of the agents who honestly care for their clients and are elated at my findings, even when it may cost a great deal, or kill their transaction. They keep coming back over and over even considering the harm I may have done them in this process of simply doing what I am hired and paid to accomplish. 

It goes beyond just agents but also friends, family, former business associates and past inspection and construction clients. This most recent occurrence is not the first time many have risen to my defense and hopefully will not be the last. As part of this I would like to humbly offer my thanks to two who stepped forward this time. If you aren’t aware of who they are then you are not likely well connected to the real estate, business or political world. I am proud to refer to them as “FRIENDS” and am forever grateful for their involvement in my life. There are hundreds of others who will go unacknowledged this time around but you can be assured that I well know who you are and appreciate your support and friendship. These two did it in a very public forum that I can share. It is my great honor to be able to share this. These are examples of how I was accustomed to being treated throughout my construction career. I have been forced to accept what is so very different in by current career dealing with listing agents and their sellers. Such takes a great deal of joy out of my life. That’s fine I wasn’t seeking joy in the first place. I seek unquestioned accomplishments. If lack of joy is part of the expense of that, so be it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that this blog is moderated and that all comments are reviewed and approved before they are displayed. NO comment with a commercial link will be accepted!